12.01.2008

Pickwick Theater & Cadillac Records





Last night I took Exal (my roommate) to the suburbs to check out the chaos at Wal-Mart. We ended up at Bath and Body Works buying smelly things. Like candy apple hand soap in a penguin dispenser. Yes, I am turning into my mother. Anyways, we decided to keep going west on Touhy and stumbled into the suburb of Park Ridge, IL. And low and behold stood the Pickwick Theater. One of the remain open movie palaces. Built in the 1920's the theater is Art Deco style, with a hint of Aztec influence.
I looked up online and saw what is playing there and saw that opening soon is Cadillac Records. A film that I have been anticipating. Not out of sure happiness it was made, more because I curious how it is going to work out. I'm pretty hesitant because of the regular skepticism, Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters and Beyonce as Etta James? Really? But having Adrian Brody as Leonard Chess might make up for it (dream boat). Being a huge fan of the Chess Records legacy and spending most of my time several blocks north the studio. A couple of years ago I even made an in-situ screenprinted shrine to Muddy and the boys of Chess.



















I'll report back with how the outcome of this film is after I go to this beautiful theater this weekend.

No comments: